Friday 11 March 2016

(Education) Primary auxiliary verbs

Primary auxiliary verbs are in three categories:

Be, Have, Do

Be- it has different forms: am, is, was, are, were

am- It is used with 'I' in the present tense. For instance: I am happy.

is- It is used with singular nouns or pronouns in the present tense. For example:
She is my friend.
Olu is coming.

was- it is used with singular nouns or pronouns and 'I' in the past tense. For instance:
He was here yesterday.
I was happy to be there.
Bose was once a good girl.

are- it is used with plural nouns or pronouns in the present tense. For example:
They are happy.
The children are with me now.

were- it is used with plural nouns or pronouns in the past tense. For example:
They were happy to see me
The children were with me last week.

Please note that all these auxiliary verbs must be followed with main verbs in the past participle. This is if the statement is not in the continuous tense.

For example:
The work was done by me.
It is written in the Bible.
The cars were stolen last week

Be - has 'been' and 'being' forms...

No comments:

Post a Comment